Man who lost both eyes after police shooting released on bail

A man who had to have both eyes surgically removed a week after being shot by police on May 14, after two elderly pedestrians were hit by a vehicle attempting to flee a traffic stop, has been granted bail.

Provincial court Judge Catherine Skene on Friday ordered the release from custody of J.H. , on $800 cash and $2,000 in non-cash assets, after hearing arguments by defence lawyer Andrea Urquhart and Crown prosecutor Darren Maloney.

Skene also ordered J.H. to live with his mother, either in Black Diamond or in New Westminster, B.C.

He also must remain under house arrest seven days a week, except for stated exemptions, and report to probation once a week.

J.H. also must not possess or consume any alcohol or non-prescription drugs and not possess or use any firearms or other weapons.

He spent two weeks in hospital, undergoing four surgeries, as a result of his injuries, and requires at least two more surgeries. He was shot in the temple on one side of his head and the bullet came out the temple on the other side.

The man was released from hospital on Tuesday and taken to the Calgary Remand Centre, where he spent the past three days.

Police have defended the officer who they said fired the shots to prevent the driver, who seriously injured a woman, from harming anyone else at a busy shopping complex in the city's northwest.

Alberta Serious Incident Response Team, a provincial agency that investigates events involving police that result in death or serious injury, is now heading a probe of the shooting.

According to provincial court documents, J.H. has been charged with numerous criminal offences for incidents in Calgary and Chestermere from November 2011 to March.

Charges include possession of drugs for the purpose of trafficking, possession of break and enter instruments, weapons offences, possession of stolen property, obstruction of a peace officer, driving without insurance and breaches of court orders.

He has a trial July 3 on some of the charges, and the remainder are set to return to court June 7.



Daryl Slade, Calgary Herald/Canwest News Service

May 31, 2013

This entry was posted in ANDREA URQUHART, tagged Drug Offences and posted on May 31, 2013

< Return to In the News